Saturday, September 11, 2010

Thai Hospitality & Artist Pinaree Sanpitak


Exhibit of Pinaree's famous soft breast sculptures. Not photographed by blog author*

Left JFK for a full day of flying. After such a long trip, my first taste of Thai hospitality was especially unforgettable. I rode to my hostess' via motorsaay taxi. Weaving through traffic and shifting with curves in the road, I felt the wind in my hair and the heat of Bangkok rush behind me.

An afternoon with Jeff and renowned Thai artist Pinaree was a special pleasure. Thanks to Oriana, a friend at West Dean, for introducing us. Lunch filled my tummy with tasty Thai curries, pomelo, bean desserts, and white wine. Pinaree's works-in- progress resemble pieces in her recent show in NYC, except for newer breast stupa-shaped food moulds popular with restaurateurs. There isn't anything like an open air studio populated by canvases, sculptures, and paint tubes to inspire the artist within. Feeling creative gives me hopeful expectations for the busy months ahead.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to many more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lindsey. Since I see that "Good Enough to Eat Things" expresses your belief that food should look as beautiful as it is delicious, you might appreciate how one Parisian chef uses Pinaree's "breast-stupa shaped food molds" for a full course meal at his restuarant. ahaa! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiduw_XtMt0

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are looking for a heating and air conditioning company in the Tulsa County area, Our professional technicians can help you select, install, and maintain equipment to assure efficiency, reliability, and comfort over the lifetime of your products
    Cocktail Party Dresses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work.
    Cocktail Party Dresses

    ReplyDelete