Saturday, September 18, 2010

Familiar Faces, Books, and Silks


An exhibition of Pinaree's opened the museum at the house of Jim Thompson, the American entrepreneur who famously revived the Thai silk industry and whose vibrant life ended abruptly with the unsolved mystery of his disappearance in 1967. Visiting the hodge-podge teak abode staged with treasured objets d'art, I felt at home. In addition to all the time I've spent working in museums, some previous reading helped me know the story and studies from my MA at the BGC, to identify the art. A trip to the gem of a library next door kept me flipping through albums of past exhibitions and seeing photos of Princess Sirindorn. Her role is so important to celebrating Thai art and culture that her birthday is Thai Heritage Conservation Day. HRH recently visited Fulbrighters in the spring of 2010. Also photoed was her friend scholar Dr. Henry Ginsburg on whose collection of SEAn textiles I wrote my thesis. Interning at his mother's gallery with oodles of exquisite and antique costumes and textiles is among my fondest memories of learning in the city. (An evening course at the Met with a curator of Islamic art is up there on the list as well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment